Tuesday, 6 May 2014

Painting light...

After a long while painting ladies lounging around on chaise longs in dark and gloomy surroundings (my favourite kind of place for models it has to be said), I thought it was time for a change so set up in the studio gallery. The light in this space first thing in the morning id beautiful and even though it was a fairly damp October day I still managed to get nice reflections on the polished concrete floor. My new model, Rowan, has a lovely profile which I made the most of. 
The paintings threw up a few problems I was not used to dealing with - mainly contrast and half tones in the patterned areas of the kimono. Keeping the colours fresh and vibrant in half silhouette was tricky. With the white Uchikake kimono, I loved the way the light filtered through the silk revealing the red lining fabric glowing.

'Silent Dawn'
oil on linen
50x100cm

'First Light'
oil on linen
80x80cm

No comments:

Post a Comment